Whether you want to relax in the shade, soak up some rays, or stay active and get outdoors – Sholem Aquatic Center is the place to be this summer! In addition to great open swim options, we also offer learn-to-swim programs for people of all ages, after-hours rentals, birthday parties, Junior Lifeguard training, and more. Get the most out of your summer with a season pool pass and you’ll get to enter before everyone else every weekday!
PLEASE NOTE: Starting July 16, 2020, you may see staff entering and exiting, as well as water filling various parts of our facility. Sholem will remain closed for the summer, but know that we’re doing the best we can to stay in tip top shape for the next season!
Champaign Park District announces summer cancellations
The Illinois shelter in place order has been extended through the end of May 2020 and restrictions on groups larger than 10 beyond that time will impact planned summer programming. As a result, the following changes will occur as Champaign Park District strives to focus on safety, security, and sanitation for park users and staff.
With support from Champaign Park Board of Commissioners, the Champaign Park District has made decisions on the following programming:
- Sholem Aquatic Center will not open for the 2020 season. Members will be contacted with the option to transfer membership to summer 2021 or receive refund.
- Prairie Farm will not open for the 2020 season.
- Summer Day Camps will be modified to fit a virtual curriculum. No on-site programming will take place.
- Spring/Summer Adult softball leagues will be cancelled.
- All special events scheduled through Labor Day will be cancelled. This includes park concerts, Champaign-Urbana Days, and Taste of Champaign-Urbana, a festival that was set to celebrate 50 years this year.
- No pavilion or facility rentals will be accepted through Labor Day.
- The Virginia Theatre is scheduled for renovation work this summer to install a new sound system and will be closed to the public through September 30.
The park district will issue refunds to anyone who has already paid for a canceled program.
“We are disappointed to have to cancel most of our summer programming, but take our responsibility to the public seriously,” said Executive Director, Joe DeLuce. “We want to remind everyone that the parks are still open and we encourage people to utilize the trails and green spaces near them as safely as possible.”
All parks remain open, but users are reminded to stay off closed amenities like playgrounds, basketball courts, and volleyball courts. Tennis courts, disc golf, and the dog park are newly reopened.
“Staff at Champaign Park District are working to provide creative, virtual programming for the community and will continue to evaluate the situation. Should the ability to host a small event or program safely pop up, we will notify the public!” said Joe DeLuce, Champaign Park District Executive Director.
Follow Champaign Park District on social media channels or email newsletter for information on virtual programming like esports Rocket League Championship (deadline May 15), Summer Youth Programs in a Bag (first deadline May 17), private tennis lessons, virtual watch parties, fun craft ideas, and more!
For more information: email@example.com.