The Champaign Park District, located in East Central Illinois, invites college students (undergraduate and graduate) to apply for a meaningful semester internship experience. You’ll gain experience, network with professionals, and build your resume in our inviting, learning-focused program. Our professional staff will involve you in the daily operations and planning of your chosen area while developing your skills and abilities to prepare you for a career in a wide variety of disciplines.
At any given time, the following disciplines may be offering internship opportunities:
- Recreation (general or administration)
- Cultural Arts
- Douglass Community Center (administration and planning)
- Sports (youth, adult, or both)
- Special Events
- Human Resources
- Risk Management
- Landscape Architecture
- Natural Areas
- Special Recreation
Only students seeking to do an internship for credit or graduation requirement from an accredited college or university will be considered.
Internship options are assigned based on your strengths, growth, and interest areas. District staff members are available to help you with resume and cover letter preparation, interviewing techniques, and your job search.
Internship rights and responsibilities of the Park District and Student:
- The internship will include actual work for the area in one or more of the disciplines listed above, however it is for training and educational purposes only.
- The internship experience will benefit the intern.
- Your position as an intern will not displace any employee of the Park District and will you work under the close supervision of a member of the existing staff.
- The Park District will not gain an advance from the activities of your work, again the experience is for your education.
- You are eligible to apply for positions with the Park District, however the internship experience does not entitle you to a position at the conclusion of your internship.
- Since this is an educational experience, you are not entitled to wages for the time spent in the internship. Stipends are offered to interns working at least 20 hour per week
Types of Internships
Internships may be full-time or part-time depending on students’ needs. The duration is at least 12 weeks but may go longer if your program requires it.
Internships may be full-time or part-time depending on students’ needs. The duration is at least 10 weeks but may go longer if your program requires it. Internships at the Park District are unpaid. However, the Park District offers full-time interns a stipend of $50 per week and half-time interns a $25 per week stipend to be paid as a lump sum at the end of internship.
Applications are reviewed on a first-come, first-served basis.
Internship Period Deadlines
Fall: July 15
Spring: December 15
Summer: March 15
- Select an internship option. Make sure you will be able to get school credit for your choice.
- Apply online through our website
- We will contact you to set up an interview if you are a selected candidate.
- At the interview, you will be asked to discuss past experiences, future goals, areas of interest, and your desired outcomes from the internship. During this visit you will also meet the staff in your area of interest.
Call 217-819-3840 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.