Open Dawn to Dusk
About Eisner Park:
- Obtained in 1944
- Acres: 4.9
- Donors: Albert Eisner, Jr., Elizabeth Eisner and Robert Eisner
- Fully-Accessible Playground, see our blog post for more details! Built in 2014.
- Eisner Park Aerial Download
- Originally named West End Park
- Was served by horse & mule drawn (later electric) railway. Lines were extended along Church Street to the park from the downtown area in July of 1891. One could ride from there to Crystal Lake Park in Urbana for 5 cents. (In 1971 the trip would cost $3 by taxi)
- Attractions at the park included carnival rides (including a roller coaster), a casino, refreshment booths, shooting gallery, and a theatre which could accommodate 600 people.
- For a number of years, beginning in 1894, extravagant Fourth of July celebrations were held in the park with various entertainment, family picnics, and fireworks.