Open Dawn to Dusk
About Kaufman Lake:
- Established: 1968-73
- Distance around lake: 0.75 miles
- Acres: 29.1
- Donors: Stanley & Josephine Kaufman (park land) and Joan Swartz (lake)
- Grants: 2010: $71,286 Community Foundation grant for accessible fishing pier. 2010: $200,000 IL Dept of Commerce & Economic Opportunity (DCEO) grant for lake road development. 2014: DCEO grant for lake road development.
- Kaufman Park Aerial Download
- “Wind Chimes” sculpture by Jim Gladney
NOTE: The lake will be closed to fishing October 4-15, 2021. Trout season opens October 16, 2021.
Kaufman Lake offers outdoor fun for individuals and families. Picnic tables are located around the lake, and a variety of activities are scheduled throughout the year. For your safety, ice skating, ice fishing, and swimming are prohibited on Kaufman Lake.
Radio Controlled Boats
Remote controlled boats are welcome on Kaufman and Mattis lakes provided their operators follow lake rules, regulations, and proper boat etiquette. Excessive noise is prohibited.
Personal Canoes & Kayaks
Personal canoes, kayaks, and paddle boards are welcome on Park District lakes. No motorized watercrafts are allowed.
The Kaufman Lake Boathouse, as well as other Kaufman Lake amenities, may be rented for parties and group gatherings. Please contact Jenna.Martin@champaignparks.com to book your rental or for more information. See our Rentals page for other rental facilities.
Kaufman Lake Park
- park permit required for groups of 25 or more
- No fee unless the park permit holder intends to hold a concert, fundraiser or similar revenue-generating event in the park
- Insurance coverage may be required for any type of use
Kaufman Lake Boathouse
- $100 damage deposit required
- $35/hour resident; $52.50 non-resident fee
- Comfortably seats 25-30 people
- More Boathouse information here
- $75 for 1st hour, $50 for each additional hour
- Includes driver
- Weekends only
- reservations begin April 1st and continue through Nov 1st
- Seats approximately 12-15 people
- park permit required
- $40 resident;$60 non-resident fee
- permit and fee must be received 10 days prior to date requested
- 20 pieces of split wood provided by request
- reservations begin January and last through October
Cross Country Skiing
The Greenbelt Bikeway and Kaufman Lake perimeter are available to cross country ski enthusiasts from 6:00 a.m. – 11:00 p.m. daily.
- For your safety, ice fishing is prohibited on Kaufman Lake.
- NOTE: The lake will be closed to fishing October 4-15, 2021. Trout season opens October 16, 2021.
- All State of Illinois fishing license requirements apply at Kaufman Lake. The lake is stocked with channel catfish, large mouth bass, redear sunfish, and bluegill sunfish.
- Daily catch limits:
- 2 channel catfish per person; no size limit.
- 1 large mouth bass per person; minimum 15″ length.
- No large mouth bass under 15″ may be taken.
- No size or catch limit on other species.
- For the health of the lake and its native fish population, please do not release carp back into the lake.