2310 S. Rising Rd.
Rising Rd. & Windsor Rd.
Open Dawn to Dusk
About Porter Park:
- Established: 2003
- Total Acres: 38.2
- Porter Family Park Path: 1.71 miles
- Acquisition: 26 acres purchased from the Porter Family
- Donors: Acquisition funds plus 13 acres donated by Urbana-Champaign Sanitary District
- Grants: 2003: $257,400 IDNR LWCF acquisition; 2007: $342,300 IDNR OSLAD development Phase I; 2011: $400,000 IDNR OSLAD development Phase II
- Porter Family Park Aerial Download
Porter Park Features:
- “Flamenco Revisited” sculpture by Ruth Aizuss Migdal
- Natural Area
Robert C. Porter Family Park is the first natural areas park in Champaign providing passive recreational opportunities and eventually environmental education programs. The first phase of this project is complete and features a loop walking trail, 300 trees, a small shelter, a pond, grass and native plantings. The primary power lines along Rising Road will be buried, making a much more cosmetically appealing appearance for the park.
Porter Park is also home to a restored prairie area. This prairie area, like those at Scott Park, Sunset Ridge Park, and Heritage Park, is kept healthy through the use of careful prescribed burns.