The philosophy behind the youth sports program is to provide an atmosphere that focuses on fun, opportunity, sportsmanship, and instruction. Sports can play a positive role in our children’s development, fostering physical skills, and emotional maturity.
Children should have a place where they can have fun participating in organized activities in a healthy, safe environment. We strive to provide quality instruction in the fundamentals of the sport while emphasizing fun and sportsmanship over winning.
By creating a positive experience for the children we hope to encourage a lifetime of involvement. You can help. We need the cooperation and assistance of parents and coaches to promote and demonstrate these values.
PLEASE NOTE: Please see COVID-19 safety measures below
NO SPECTATORS AT THIS TIME
COVID-19 Safety Measures-NO SPECTATORS AT THIS TIME.
PARTICIPANT SAFETY PRECAUTIONS:
- Self-assessments and roster sign in for health screenings
- Face coverings should be worn at all times when 6’ of social distancing cannot be maintained-unless on the field during a game
- Group sizes are limited to 50 participants or fewer, and 30-ft of distancing must be maintained between groups
- Participants must wash hands before arrival or bring and use their own hand sanitizer
- Minimize sharing of high-touch equipment and if shared staff will sanitize equipment after each session
- Place personal items 6’ from other player’s items to avoid any contact
- Staggered activity start and end times to minimize contact between teams or groups
- No team/group meetings and no “high fives”, fist bumps, or handshakes
- No drinking fountains available (encourage water to be supplied by individual participant)
- Discourage participants and families from congregating before, during, and after practice.
NO SPECTATORS AT THIS TIME.
Because some residents are unable to participate in recreation programs due to economic hardship, the Champaign Park District offers scholarships to reduce certain fees and charges. Jimmy John’s Youth Scholarship Program applicants are not guaranteed fund availability, program registration or choice of program location. Early applications are given priority. Need is the primary criterion upon which scholarship applicants are considered. Questions: 217-398-2550.
CPD & CUSR Scholarship Forms will be used by any applicant who wants financial help with programs occurring between May 1, 2020 through April 30, 2021. Page 3 is for each child requesting assistance, so print multiple copies if needed:
- Champaign Park District Scholarship Form 2020-2021
- Champaign-Urbana Special Recreation Scholarship Form 2020-2021
If a participant would like to apply for more programs than space allowed on the form, please use the following form for additional program:
- Champaign Park District Additional Programs Application
- Champaign-Urbana Special Recreation Additional Programs Application
If you would like to submit your completed scholarship application with the required documents by email, please send them to email@example.com.
Want to play but not sure about your schedule? No problem! We offer the following open gym sports year-round:
Leonhard Recreation Center
For more information, please visit Leonhard Recreation Center >> or call 217-398-2550.
Douglass Community Center
For more information, please visit Douglass Community Center >> or call 217-398-2573.
Now seeking Youth Sports Coaches!
“A good coach will make his [their] players see what they can be, rather than what they are.” – Ara Parseghian.
Outdoor Places to Play
From parks to pools, tennis to soccer, there’s something for everyone at the Champaign Park District. Find what you’re looking for with a simple search of our website or call 217-398-2550 and we’d be happy to help.