Douglass Community Center
Monday-Friday: 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Saturday & Sunday: Open for programming only
*Friday, August 7 we will close at 4pm in preparation for CU Days
Want to know more about Douglass Community Center? Watch this 1-minute video on our YouTube channel!
The Douglass Community Center is a multi-use facility equipped with one full-size gymnasium (including 6 basketball goals), a stage area, and multipurpose rooms. Douglass hosts youth and adult basketball, HEAT basketball team, pickleball, volleyball, teen programming, summer day camp, the LEAD after school program, school out day programming, special events including CU Days, a morning walking program, and birthday parties and rentals. The Douglass Community Center is proud to serve the residents of the Douglass Park area and beyond.
Open gym is available at the Douglass Community Center when the gym is not being used for programs. Open gym participants under 13 years of age must be supervised by someone 15+. Please bring an extra pair of shoes and, if possible, your own equipment. A limited amount of equipment is available to borrow – photo ID required. Please note that, at times, scheduled open gym hours may be cancelled due to Champaign Park District programs or facility rentals.
Scheduled Open Gym Hours
- Adult Basketball, ages 18+: Sunday, Tuesday & Thursday from 10:00 am- 1:00 pm
$1/$1.50 per visit
- Youth Basketball, ages 12-17: Monday through Friday from 3:00 pm- 4:00 pm
FREE! *must complete participant packet to attend
- Indoor Pickleball: Monday, Wednesday, Friday from 9:00 am – 1:00 pm
$1/$1.50 per visit
To see all current Douglass Community Center programming, or to register for a program, please visit our Registration page.
The Douglass Community Center gym is available to rent for tournaments, trade shows, and other gatherings. The gym rental fee is $60/hour for residents or $45/hour for registered non-profit groups. The stage adjacent to the gym is also available during gym rentals for no fee, but it must be requested in advance. Douglass does not have any other rooms or spaces available for rent aside from the gym. Please contact Mary.Howell@champaignparks.com or call 217-398-2573 for more information or to book your gym rental.
The Douglass Community Center hosts a variety of wonderful basic as well as themed and staff-led birthday parties. All Douglass birthday parties accommodate 35 participants maximum and are hosted on Saturdays and Sundays. Cake and any other food items are not included. All parties must be booked at least 2 weeks in advance. For more information, please contact Katie Hicks or call 217-819-3973.
For more information: view/download Summer 2015 Birthday Party Information.
- In July of 1941 neighborhood residents formed “The Douglass Community Service Center Committee” and kicked off fundraising efforts to address the inadequate, segregated facilities which served the black community at the time.
- By 1943, the group acquired land for a new facility adjacent to Douglass Park.
- In September of 1943 the group completed a second proposal to the federal government for a grant to fund facility construction. This grant application was successful, and the federal government agreed to pay $18,500 towards the construction of the facility provided that the community could raise an additional $14,500. These additional funds were raised from various groups including the black community ($3000), Home and War Chest Organization ($2500), City of Champaign Recreation Department ($3500), City of Urbana ($2000), and the remainder was funded by individual donations.
- The new facility broke ground on February 18, 1945. The original construction cost of the 17,058 sq. ft building was $35,000.
- The Douglass Community Center was dedicated on September 23, 1945.
- 2010: $10,408 Illinois Department of Commerce and Economic Opportunity (DCEO) grant for energy efficiency at the Douglass Center, Douglass Annex and Springer Cultural Center
- 2014: $300,000 IDNR OSLAD grant for park improvements that included a trail, playground, splash pad, and outdoor fitness equipment dedicated in late spring 2015.
- 2014: $25,584 IDNR Illinois Youth Recreation Corp grant for a Douglass youth and natural areas program.
- 2014: $2,900 Outdoor Foundation/Outdoor Nation grant for day camp scholarships
Take just 1 minute to know the Douglass Community Center!